Tuesday 14 July 2015

A Bit More Panelling

It’s been a while since the last update, so I need to catch up a bit! At the moment I keep flitting between different jobs, mainly because I keep getting stuck and having to wait for small parts to be delivered, usually nuts and bolts but, occasionally, tools (grrr).

I’ve recently (well, it was ages ago, actually) done a bit more panelling. To start with I installed both footwell end panels, which were pretty simple, just requiring a bit of trimming here and there.

In progress
Lovely

Then came the drivers-side tunnel panels, of which there are two, a main section than runs almost the entire length of the tunnel inside the cockpit and a smaller section that is affixed on the other side of the chassis member to give a bit more room for your feet and the pedals. The only problem was, I couldn’t initially work out how they joined together, I thought I was missing something. After a bit of internet research (seriously, how did we function before it?) it dawned on me that both panels needed bending towards each other and riveting together. The only thing I could find with a strong, straight edge was a spirit level (note to self: buy some angle iron) so I used that to bend the panels over. Not the greatest bit of metalwork ever, bit it sufficed.

It's crude...
...but functional

The larger panel was simple (after the now obligatory trimming and filing), just requiring a simple bend halfway down to match the flare of the tunnel, but the smaller panel needed some bending and then beating with a rubber hammer to mould it to the shape of the different angles of box steel that meet on that corner. Again, I don’t think McLaren will be consulting me on the intricacies of modern panel construction, but I’m happy with the end result (the inner side will be covered in carpet and the outer will mostly be full of engine anyway, so if you can’t do it properly, hide it!).

Cleco's are invaluable here
Looking good

I’m going to leave fitting the main panel on the passenger side for the time being, because I may make it removable, for maintenance of the propshaft. I’ve also decided to paint the engine bay panels, which is a simple case of using a scotchbright pad to key the surface, cleaning it with panel wipe, a couple of coats of etch primer and then 2 or 3 coats with a nice black gloss. I’ve just got to be careful not to scratch it now!

Does this count as advertising?
Happy days

I have also installed more Dynamat on the rear of the main tunnel panel to make the interior feel more solid. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment